- Expatriate Tax Consultant (Big 4 – UK Tax)
- Share Schemes Senior Consultant (Big 4 firm)
- Expatriate Tax Manager (Big 4 – UK/Japan Dual Handler)
- Expatriate Tax Junior (Big 4 – BA/BSc Hons qualified)
- Expatriate Tax Senior Manager (UK-US Dual Handler – Boutique)
- InHouse – Reward & Compensation Manager (Consulting Boutique)
- International Social Security Senior Manager (Big 4)
Entry Level Requirements:
- Minimum 2.1 degree – high verbal & numeracy skills
- Interpersonally confident, articulate, smartly presented
- Experience of working in a professional services or client orientated organisation.
Assistant Manager (AM) Requirements:
- Minimum as above plus ATT qualified.
- Ideally Accountancy or Tax qualified. ACA, CTA, ACCA, or possibly ATT.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of Expatriate Tax issues or tax return preparation in any sized practice, an in-house payroll department or a global mobility team.
- Ideally from a similar sized firm and therefore familiar with the preparation, and review processes and engagement management methodologies.
AM Basic Tax Compliance Responsibilities:
- Preparation of UK tax returns for expatriate executives, i.e. for British nationals who are abroad and for foreign nationals who are in the UK.
- In respect of each executive;
- completion and administration of Inland Revenue agent and arrival/departure forms and other documentation and,
- liaison with the Revenue authority (HMRC) in respect of any related tax questions or queries,
- Collection of employment remuneration and other income data required to calculate tax returns
- Monitoring of time spent in different countries for Short Term Assignees
- Coordination of expatriate tax services in other international offices.
AM Basic Knowledge:
- Home country tax return preparation
- Accurate hypothetical tax calculations and ability to assess the implications for the employer and employee of a Tax Equalisation policy.
- As above plus…
- Minimum CTA/ACA/ACCA qualified,
- 4/5 years total experience of preparing individuals’ tax returns,
- As well as preparing tax returns, spend a significant percentage of chargeable time on reviewing of juniors’ tax return preparation,
- Attention to detail and ability to analyse and query complex compensation data,
- Detailed understanding of different forms of compensation including: stock options, bonuses, long-term incentive plans and non-cash benefits,
- Experience of training and development of junior staff, appraisal processes and other HR related procedures,
- Some involvement in marketing activity; accompanying directors and partners on client trips, involvement in ITT response, pre-pitch briefs, brochures, proposals and presentations,
- WiP & Billing: experience of managing engagement codes, tracking code and individuals’ utilization rates. Tight management or escalation of matters affecting recoveries and debtor days,
- Working on teams dedicated to developing new tax products and winning advisory/consulting projects for existing clients,
Senior Manager – Additional Requirements
- Responsibility for running, either directly or through managers, many multiple engagements,
- Direct management of own small clients and ‘ownership’ of client engagement codes,
- Departmental lead responsibility for monitoring and reporting on functional matters such as Recruitment, Compliance, HR Policies, Finances (departmental WiP, Billing, Recovery),
- Lead responsibility for creating and developing new tax products and winning and profitably delivering advisory/consulting projects for existing clients.
Director – Additional Requirements
- Exceptional client portfolio management and organisation skills,
- Innate aptitude and confident personality for networking,
- Impressive interpersonal skills, particularly strong negotiation and persuasion skills,
- Demonstrably successful experience of tactics and strategies necessary to attract new clients,
- Excellent client relationship management skills: highly skilled in retention, expansion and promotion strategies,
- Commercial indicators: high income achievement/growth, low staff turnover,
- Administrative skills – tight control of WiP, debtor days and lock up.